Re: Debian on Thecus N2100

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 06:00:09PM +0100, Steve Gane wrote:
>    Once Debian is installed, I *presume* the way back is to copy each
>    mtd partition back (except #0, redboot) and then when it reboots
>    it's an Evesham SilverSTOR M-Box again. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I have used this procedure a couple of times to test the installer.
You can also recover the original firmware by extrating the partitions
from a official upgrade firmware.

Before you install debian, I suggest upgrading to the latest official
firmware. Thecus was kind enough to set the correct machine id and
enable telnet in redboot for us.

>    I have previously used an NSLU2 with Debian Etch.
>    On the N2100, does it behave the same so that one can simply "cat"
>    to the mtdblock partitions?

Yes. the beauty of standard subsystems..

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups