Re: Some packages, like unrar, aren't build for arm?

2007/3/9, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 08:03:50PM +0100, David Fokkema wrote:
> I noticed that unrar-nonfree isn't available for arm. Looking up the
> developer's page and checking the buildd logs I noticed an 'n/a' next to
> 'arm'. How can I find out what the reason for this exclusion is? Is it
> some binary code which only runs on i386??

Yes it is nonfree for multiple reasons, one of which is that it is
binary only as far as I know.  If it had souce, I imagine the free
version would support rar v3 files by now. :)

unrar certainly exists since woody with full C++ source, but for some
reason in etch and sid it's only been compiled for amd64 i386 powerpc
sparc.

I've just built the etch .debs for arm and armel from source by
manually downloading the source archives and using
    $ dpkg-source -x unrar-nonfree*dsc
    $ cd unrar*3
    $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    $ cd ..
    # dpkg -i unrar_*deb
It compiles noisily on both ("warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for
field of type 'SEE2_CONTEXT") but succeeds, the package installs and
the unrar successfully unpacks a RAR file giving the same output as on
i386 on both architectures.

I've put the arm and armel .debs up under
martinwguy.co.uk/martin/debian in case anyone wants to test it
further.