Compiling custom kernel

Hi group,

I wanted to try out the eabi chroot, but that generated an illegal
instruction. Of course, I forgot to compile a new kernel. I'm doing that
right now, but I'm wondering about what to do with it. Due to the recent
change to apex (well, maybe not so recent) the information on the net is
somewhat conflicting. Do I need to flash? Does apex just load the kernel
according to the links in /boot? Information on apex is hard to come by
(the wiki doesn't seem to have the information to do things the debian
way) and /usr/share/doc/apex is somewhat empty. So, assuming I'm just a
user: what steps do I have to take to boot my custom kernel?

Steps:
1. apt-get linux-source-2.6.18 fakeroot kernel-package
2. copy over config from /boot, edit it for eabi, run make-kpkg with
--initrd (I did that a few times on x86 hardware).
3. install the generated packages???

Any help would be appreciated and maybe a wiki page could be put up
somewhere? http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/BuildImage ends with
just installing the package. Is that really enough???

Thanks,

David