kernel compile woes

I've got a netwinder here running debian linux and I have been having
significant troubles trying to get a kernel to compile.  I am using 2.4.19
with the rmk4 patch and the rmk2-nw2 (netwinder patch by ralphs) and both
are giving me the same error.  I tried this on debian stable and debian
unstable (two different gcc/glibc versions) with no different results.

make zImage goes on merrily away until I get an error as follows.

entry-armv.S: Assembler messages:
entry-armv.S:837: Error: invalid constant (fffffb1c) after fixup
entry-armv.S:837: Error: internal relocation (type: IMMEDIATE) not fixed
up

I have compiled a 2.4.18 kernel for the netwinder before, successfully I
might add.

If anyone can give me any idea about what is wrong here, I would
appreciate it as I would like to use this box as my main router for my
network as this lack of kernel is a major roadblock at this time.

Other Relevant Info Follows:

bear:~# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/2.95.4/specs
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)

bear:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : Intel StrongARM-110 rev 3 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 185.95
Features        : swp half 26bit fastmult

Hardware        : Rebel-NetWinder
Revision        : 52ff

bear:/usr/lib# as --version
GNU assembler 2.13.90.0.14 20021114 Debian GNU/Linux
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `arm-linux'.

package versions
gcc            2.95.4-17
libc6          2.2.5-14.3
binutils       2.13.90.0.14-1