Re: dpkg hangs with large debs

>IIRC it was something to do with data aborts on a 4K page boundary. Phil,
>didn't you work out some scheme so that the compiler could try and make sure
>this didn't happen? Of course that means fixing the compiler and re-compiling
>everything with this option, which isn't very practical, but would provide a
>solution. Or did you decide that in fact it wasn't going to work?

Well, yes, a number of people have proposed methods of avoiding the problem.
But all of these would involve applying gruesome changes to the compiler and/
or linker, and recompiling all the affected binaries, plus they would result
in worse code for the majority of users who weren't affected by the original
bug.  Because of that I took the view that it wasn't worth trying to work
around this particular bug; environmental considerations aside, we'd be better
off just taking all the affected machines out and burning them.

p.