Re: fbdev problems

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Is this the reason why you were finding that my patch didn't seem to work?
> (sorry, I forgot to say that I wasn't running in "default")

I'm totally guessing.  This is based on a couple of off-hand thoughts
having spent five minutes staring at the source; it's probably wrong.

> My guess would be that the acornfb is the only driver that defaults
> to setting a virtual resolution that differs from the physical.

Well, yes, indeed. :-)  My real question was why doesn't any other hardware
operate in that fashion...

> (in that there's no reason to do this for its own sake, and I'd suspect
> that other architectures don't need to do this to improve performance for
> fix sized text screens)

I presume they construct the graphics from the VT100 information as
necessary rather than keeping it costlily `cached' at all times.  It
/does/ seem a waste of memory, to be honest; I hope that every single
console doesn't have a screen bank allocated.  I shall check.

c.