Re: ICEs, libc6, yp

>And why does this trick work on other platforms?  Is this really just a bug in
>ld.so for ARM (1.9.11-2), as the error message would suggest?

Other platforms tend to be more sloppy about shared objects.  It would be
possible to make it work on the ARM without too much trouble but because
non-PIC shared objects will always be less efficient than those done "right"
nobody has bothered,

Making the error message more friendly is on my list of things to do but
somewhere near the bottom.  It would also be possible to have the program
linker emit a warning at compile time if you were generating a shared object
with invalid relocs.

p.