Re: no kernel driver for sound card

On Monday 18 April 2011 21:37:25 Seb wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:20:52 -0500,
>
> Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fellow AMD64ers, It has been a couple of months since I've lost sound
> > in my Toshiba Satellite laptop, with Debian unstable on it.  Following
>
> > some investigation with lspci:
> [...]
>
> On top of all that, /proc/asound simply simply doesn't exist.  However,
> snd-hda-intel), does create it and at least ALSA gets up and running.
> But this breaks something with PulseAudio since I only get a greyed out
> Dummy Output and an internal audio device in the list given in KDE sound
> settings, instead of the usual list of devices.  Some posts point to a
> problem with udev, but no solution...

I had some problem with sound when I first moved to Wheezy.  The problem seemed
to be that the driver was trying to use the sound port on my graphic card, or
something.  Once thing which seemed to help was to add the following line in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

You can also use other values of probe_mask to cause the driver to try specific
cards (Google for information).

Your symptoms do not seem the same as mine, however, so this may not be at all
relevant!

Graham