Re: Problems with gcc

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:56:46PM +0200, E. Rens wrote:
> When I realized that I couldn't run compiled programs I decided to
> remove all the versions of gcc I had (3.4, 4.1, 4.3) to reinstall them
> from the mirror (ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib --
> changing it later to the main didn't improve the situation) running
> apt-get clean, then:
> # sudo apt-get remove gcc-4.3 gcc-4.3-base
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   libgcc1: Depends: gcc-4.3-base (= 4.3.1-2) but it is not going to be
>   installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> After that,trying to remove libgcc1 (just to see) I got :

>   libc6: Depends: libgcc1 but it is not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> I can only reinstall these 2 packages but not remove them. Trying to
> remove libc6 (also for testing) brings up an awful list of software,
> among them essential ones that wouldn't leave my system usable, but at
> least it is removable.

libc6, libgcc1 and hence gcc-4.3-base are required packages.  You can
replace them, but not remove them.

Still there may not actually be a problem.

You could install the apt-show-versions tool and run it, and see if it
lists anything as not uptodate or such, including 'newer than version in
archive' which would tend to indicate something from sid or elsewhere.
If everything is simply up to date then there is nothing currently
incorrect installed, and anything that doesn't work is either a bug or a
user error.

I can't actually remember what the problem started out as anymore.