From: nicholas materer [mailto:materer@okstate.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:15 PM
To: 'Peter Yorke'; debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: 3w_9xxx drive/lenny kernel/AMD64 Problem

It looks like my problem is AMD64 specific.  The
debian-LennyBeta2-i386-netinst.iso install image recognizes the card
correctly.  However, the debian-LennyBeta2-amd64-netinst.iso install image
has the same problems that I have with booting my system after upgrading the
kernel to the 2.6.24 or 2.6.20 version.

In addition, I do not think that this problem is due to the 3w_9xxx driver.
I updated to the firmware on my card to the latest version with no success.
I complied latest the driver from the 3ware web site - some problem.  I also
complied the driver from the 2.6.18 kernel source (had to make two trivial
patches due to a change in the scatterlist structure).  They all failed with
the same errors - PCI Parity Error, PCI Abort and Controller Queue Error.
These error are printed from the routine twa_decode_bits in the driver -
"This function will print readable messages from status register errors".

I guess I have an AMD64 specific regression affecting the PCI-X buss on my
Thunder K8WE board.  I guess that I need to boot off a non-raid boot disk
and collect the system log with both a i386 and an AMD64 system.

Nick