Re: P5K-VM v BFG NVidia 8800GT OC

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:23:05PM -0400, Massimo Savino wrote:
> I am on a Pentium dual-core system (E2160) with 4GB RAM housed on an Asus
> P5K-VM motherboard with integrated Intel G33 / GMA3100 graphics, running
> Debian testing downloaded about 3 weeks ago.
>
> Although I am no expert, I have used Linux for 10 years, and Debian has been
> my distro of choice since 2000. I have used Nvidia cards for nearly 8 years
> now, and have been more than happy with their performance. I have used the
> proprietary Nvidia drivers exclusively since switching from ATI in 2001.
>
> My troubles started yesterday when I bought a BFG 8800 GT PCI-Express card
> with 512mb RAM
> On this motherboard, I am unable to even have a console running.
>
> The BIOS allows you to switch off the onboard graphics, which I have done,
> of course.
>
> I upgraded to a custom 2.6.24.4 kernel last night, and made sure that I
> followed the wiki.debian.org HOWTO closely by disabling the fb_riva,
> fb_nvidia and fb_vesa framebuffers. I have enabled SMP options as per the
> CPU.

Well i only use Debian's kernels myself.  I stopped building my own when
2.6 kernels came out in Debian.  Debian's builds were just generally
better than my own, or at least had all the features I needed so why
bother.

> Every other Nvidia card and motherboard combo would default to console when
> I would install a new kernel.
>
> This combination switches to a framebuffer with a Debian logo when using the
> G33 integrated graphics, but goes totally blank with the NVidia card
> installed. I can't even put it back into console.... help!

Well I use an 8600GT with no problem what so ever.  Of course I don't
have onboard video, and I only have 2GB ram.  My mainboard is a P5K (not
the -VM since I hate microATX and I hate onboard video).

I do not use any framebuffer drivers for my console (they tend to not
get along with the nvidia X drivers so they aren't worth the bother).

I have Debian's 2.6.24 kernel from Sid running on my system right now
and the console works fine as does X (using the binary drivers).

Can the onboard video be causing trouble?  Is there a problem with
having 4GB ram?  You could try removing half the ram to see if it makes
a difference.  If it does maybe there is a bios option that has to be
changed to leave enough room for the nvidia card in the PCI space while
moving the remaining ram above 4GB.