Re: chroot64 the chroot32

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:47 +0000, Rob Andrews wrote:
> On 31-Jan-2008 10:20.51 (GMT), Hans Vogelsberger wrote:
> > Well, I never tried chroot. But Opera and - because of Sun Java plugins
> > - Iceweasel and Openoffice still run on my old (and much too loud)
> > 32-bit intel 686 computer instead of the newer Amd 64 one.
>
> The Java plugin is an interesting one. I don't see why the Java NPAPI plugin
> hasn't been ported to 64-bit systems.

Because Sun hasn't gotten around to it yet. But really, what do we
expect? It's not like they've known about the issue for 5 years[1], or
like anyone prior to us has mentioned it[2]. And it's not like anyone
has ever done something that monumental to know how great of an
undertaking it really is[3]. Those poor folks, always getting blamed
like that...

[1] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4802695
[2] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/top25_rfes.do

[3] I can't post a link since they're no longer around unfortunately,
but Blackdown did ("does" if you can still find a copy) release a
version of Java 1.4.2 YEARS ago for amd64, with a fully-functional
browser plugin.

In case you're not familiar with Blackdown, they were actually allowed
by Sun (pre-"Sun going GPL" here) to hack on the Java source and release
their own packages. A few years ago your only choice for a Debian
package for Java was using Blackdown. (They were around before we even
got things like make-jpkg, let alone the binary packages we have now.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837