Fwd: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

On Jan 20, 2008 2:59 AM, Karl Schmidt <karl@xtronics.com> wrote:
> I think I shouldn't have updated to lenny -- I can't get nvidia working and I need it for a
> dual head setup (I don't think the "nv" driver can do this).
>
> Not sure which way to go from here:
>
> * Use the nvidia supplied drivers? (I've never done this)
>
> * Is there a way to use the etch drivers?
>
> * Get Some other card that has an open driver that supports dual head display?

Hello i have the same problem. If you use the nvidia drivers they will
not compile against your kernel (if you use the one
from debian maintainers) just because your kernel was compiled with
version 4.1 of gcc and the version of gcc installed
in lenny is 4.2.

There is a work around you can try, is to change the link from gcc

$ ls -lh gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2007-03-23 15:52 gcc -> gcc-4.1

to this

#ln -sf /usr/bin/gcc-4.1 /usr/bin/cc

and then you compile the driver from Nvidia,,, sh NV...

Dont forget to put again the link you change pointing to gcc 4.2 :) ...

Im compiling the kernel right now becouse of this problem and becouse
of sound,,,
in etch i have it, and the strange thing (for me;) is that the modules
are there,,,