Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:54:01PM -0400 Douglas Allan Tutty said:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:15:06PM +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> >
> > I'm also inquiring about hardware for a new system.
> > Based on previous posts (with some replacements for parts I didn't
> > readily found in the closest shop), here is my tentative list (with
> > alternative choices):
> >
> > CPU             Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
> > CPU             AMD Athlon64 5000
> > RAM             1024MB DDR2-6400 800Mhz
> > Fan             Zalman CNPS9500
> > MB (Intel CPU)  Asus P5N32-E SLI + S775 DualX16 FSB1333 FW GbLan
> > MB (Intel CPU)  Intel Mbo DP965LT-Skt LGA775/1066/DDR2-800/SATA/IDE/1394
> > MB (AMD CPU)    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe-AM2/SATA/Wifi/DDR2-800/G
> > HDD             WD 320GB SATA
> > HDD             WD 160GB SATA
> > HDD             Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA-II
> > HDD             Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA-II

<snip>

> I chose AMD since IMHO Intel and MS are kissing siblings.  I have the
> Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe; I didn't need the Wifi.

I have used both Intel and AMD dual-core and find AMD better for my work;
I'm basing this on one thing, the speed of processing video files.

I had an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard but the graphics cooler died and I
could only get a GA-K8NF-9 as replacement.

> Everyone has both favorite and horror stories about every hard drive
> manufacturer.

<snip>

I've found the smaller WD drives to be flaky; the bigger SATA ones are as
good or as bad as Seagate. You won't find drives of the quality of the
Quantum Fireball anymore.

> The hardest problem on a computer to track down is flaky memory so
> choose wisely.  Also, I would recommend ECC.  I went with Kingston 1 GB
> stick, ECC-800.  I'll add a second soon followed by a pair of 2 GB.

First thing after building, boot from a Knoppix live CD and run memtest to
pick up any memory errors. I agree about Kingston.

<snip>

> I don't see anything that would be inherently a no-go with linux but I
> do know from reading this list that wifi is interesting.  make sure its
> covered.

If you're going wi-fi make sure the chipset is supported; many wireless
chipsets have no Linux drivers.

My experience with AMD64 is now dated but have a look if you wish:

http://www.gnubies.com/linux/debian_amd64.html

HTH
Sam
- --
(Sam Varghese)
http://www.gnubies.com
The years teach much which the days never knew.
My PGP key: http://www.gnubies.com/encryption/sign.txt