Re: Google Earth woes

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:19:06 +0100,
Jo Shields <jms@osc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

> The nvidia-installer indiscriminately overwrites key files in /usr,
> leading to major system death in the event of upgraded X-related
> packages.

> The Debian packages come in three parts that you need care about.
> nvidia-glx contains the driver for your current architecture. In order
> to function, it requires a kernel module, provided by
> nvidia-kernel-NVIDIAVERSION. This package doesn't actually exist - you
> create one, by compiling against your specific kernel, using
> "module-assistant" and "nvidia-kernel-source". More specifically, "m-a
> prepare && m-a a-i nvidia" will download everything required to compile
> an nvidia kernel module, create the .deb, and install it (or will use
> your local nvidia-kernel-source package if it's newer than your mirror).

> With your nvidia-kernel-NVIDIAVERSION installed, you can install
> nvidia-glx. You may also wish to add nvidia-glx-ia32 (32-bit driver, for
> use with 32-bit apps) and nvidia-settings (control panel thing to
> control card settings) to the mix.

Thanks Jo for these very helpful suggestions.  Before tackling that
though, I tried to uninstall the Nvidia driver I installed with Nvidia's
own script using (thanks to a previous poster):

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8774-pkg2.run --uninstall

But this sort of wrecked my system because next time I tried to reboot, X
would not come up with the usual dialog to log in.  I had to install it
again.  Can I proceed as you suggest and then uninstall NVidia's driver
like above?

Cheers,

--
Seb