Shutdown problem on Tyan S2875 opteron SMP

Shutdown problem on Tyan tiger s2875 dual opteron system.

The command "shutdown -h" does not completely poweroff the system
for kernels 2.6.11, 2.6.12, and 2.6.16. However 2.6.8 does
turn off as it should!

I did track the problem in the 2.6.12 kernel, writing to the
mainboard LED and concluding that the kernel was indeed halting
where it was supposed to in drivers/acpi/hardware/hwsleep.c,
function acpi_enter_sleep_state, calling acpi_hw_register_write,
but leaving fans and power on. This was about 12 months ago.
I concluded it was a board problem, because the kernel software
seemed to be doing everything according to spec.

However in my experience attempting to install debian stable,
I installed a 2.6.8 kernel, and this does power down correctly.

I have noticed some discussions on this type of problem
in the ubuntu forums:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/36158
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43961

Any comments or suggestions on this issue, would be grateful.
Its just so tedious not being able to press the poweroff button
and leave immediately.