Re: Packagehandling

hans-u@t-online.de (Hans-J. Ullrich) writes:

> Dear maintainers and users,
>
> there is a little thing I think should be discussed.
>
> Whenever essentiell packages (especially the kernel) is released with a new
> version, there is no possibilty fall back to the old one, if things crash.
>
> For example, some time ago there was a ne kernel, but no new header-files. The
> package was not released. So there was no possibility, to build
> kernel-modules. Falling back to the old version was not possible, too, as the
> kernel was no more in the repository.

Kernel versions always get a new package name as do revisions with abi
changes. For those the old one remains on your system. Only revisions
that do not change the ABI replace the old kernel.

As for there being no header files that must have been a bug. But you
wouldn't have to rebuild any modules. If the name remained the same
then the abi did too and the old modules still work.

> Now there is the problem again: I have got the new kernel-version
> 2.6.17-2-amd64, which breaks my wireless. (module "bcm43xx", see bugs).
>
> I cannot fall back, as the old kernel (version 2.6.17-1-amd64-k8) is no more
> in the repository.

Why did you remove the old kernel on update? Didn't watch what
apitude was doing? That is your fault.

> So, please let the old versions for some time in the repository, to give the
> people the possibilty, to fall back at problems. In my case ist is only
> wireless, but worse case could be i.e. network card or something else.

The old package remains in the archive for 3 days if you go and look
into pool manualy. Then there is testing and also
snapshot.debian.net. Is that not enough?

> I see there no problems, to get two kernels installed.

And most people have.

> Best regards !
>
> Hans

MfG