Re: forcedeth fails on second port with error -12

Karl Schmidt wrote:
Sebastian Haase wrote:
As final note on this:
A "reset BIOS to defaults" did the trick - God knows why...
Only some crucial settings like "hardware memory hole" needed to be adjusted, but the bottom line: for whatever reason Linux suddenly started seeing the second MAC address...
qed.

Thanks to every one
- Sebastian Haase

I saw perhpas the same error?

I could not get networking going - and booted up under knoppix4 - which did get connected via forcedeth. This created a lease on the DHCP server and once the lease was there the install was able to connect. Did you do something with a different boot that created a lease?
Hi Karl,
I don't know what a lease is - but my problem was that even though I got a perfect network connection on the first eth port (with forcedeth) the second port always showed an "invalid MAC address" at boot-up - same in KNOPPIX. But WindowsXP64 worked always fine. After being close to sending the PC back to the factory - the guy I bought it from suggested pressing "F9" in the BIOS to reload the default setting -- MAKE SURE TO DOCUMENT PRIOR SETTINGS, SINCE SOME MIGHT BE IMPORTANT !?
That did the trick.
In other words: before I never got to the DHCP part at all on the second port ('open' failed - some error message about "bad"(?) PHY)

Good luck,
Sebastian Haase