howto NOT put agpgart into kernel - or - NVIDIA with twinview

Hi,
I have three displays and was trying to follow
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0150048402/linux/Multiple_Nvidia_Multiple_Head.html
There he says:
<quote>
In /etc/hotplug/blacklist, blacklisted (prevented from loading) the following kernel modules: agpgart nvidia_agp NOTE: to use NVAGP instead of AGPGART I had to recompile the kernel without AGP support (AGPGART) and recompile also the nvidia kernel module. Setting NvAgp=1 and blacklisting the agpgart module has no effect, because the nvidia kernel module itself will explicitly depend on it if you don't configure the kernel without AGPGART
</quote>

But every time I try to configure my kernel (2.6.16), it is impossible to make arpgart into a module or deselect it altogether. The .config file always reads:
#
# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y

(Even just editing it to '=m' doesn't help.)

I read that X86_64 puts agpgart automatically INTO the kernel when you have more than 4GB. see here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-25080.html - at the bottom terrax says February 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
<quote>
I have that exact same problem as you. I did solve it in gentoo, though I did find it easier there.

The reason it is loading agpgart, is that in the amd64 version, the IOMMU support in the kernel has to have the agpgart compiled in the kernel. If you want to completely remove the agpgart from loading, you have to recompile a new kernel without IOMMU and agpgart support. The IOMMU is only needed if you have over 4 gb memory installed :)

The agpgart is probably installed as a module in x86, because IOMMU is not used here, and agpgart can easily be removed from the kernel modules with a recompile. BUT? Here comes my problem. I have installer the x86 version on a amd64, and I really don't know where to start, recompiling a new kernel in this automated dist :S In gentoo it was rather easy, but in kubuntu you have to have some kernel-headers i think. Can anybody help me setting my system up, so I can recompile me kernel?
</quote>

Is this true !? In any case it is really annoying that it looks like "AGP" is a kernel configure option but you CAN'T CHANGE It !!!!!

In any case: I have 4GB on my debian-amd64 dual opteron and would like to use NVIDIA's NVAGP.

(BTW, X doesn't complain about nvagp or anything - but glxgears always fails with a BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
error when using xinerama (ref. "happy ending" on above/first link))

Help or comments would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase

(note for me: http://lists.nluug.nl/pipermail/wurlug/2005-November/001296.html (I use XFree86 though))