Re: keep specific versions of packages

--- Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>
> > I want to avoid any modification from apt-get
> commands
> >
> > mpqc 2.3.1-0.2
>
> Ciao Francesco. There are many ways to achieve what
> you want. The simplest
> one is just to put the mpqc packages in "hold"
> state. You can do that using
> any of the frontends (e.g. from dselect to synaptic
> just to name two). This
> will prevent _any_ automatic upgrade of mpqc. You
> will still be able to
> upgrade it, if needed, using a explicit command, but
> not with a general
> upgrade of the system.

I have no gui on amd64 etch. Aptitude does not
recognize the installation of mpqc 2.3.1-0.2, which
was carried out with dpkg without uninstalling mpqc
2.3.1-1. At least not on "science", where it
recognizes only mpqc-support 2.3.1-1 from apt-get

dselect recognizes the mpqc 2.3.1-0.2 installation and
I could place "H" on that. My only remaining concern
(I  am not in a hurry to command a "apt-get" upgrade)
is about the dependencies, which are shown by
"apt-show mpqc". I have not checked them against those
for mpqc 2.3.1-1 still existing on debian
repositories, though libint was surely expressely
introduced for the new version 0.2. Therefore, is
placing "H" for mpqc 2.3.1-1 0.2 enough to prevent it
being touched during "apt-get upgrade" if the same
version appears on debian repositiries (I fear that
the new version on debian repositories will not be
compiled for libint, because this serves very special
procedures only). Moreover, simply placing "H" on the
mpqc package does prevent upgradind dependencies, or
is that immaterial to mpqc functioning?

This clarification will serve also for any future
similar case.

Thanks a lot
francesco