Re: mosix and debian amd64

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Jo Shields wrote:

I've never understood the appeal of Mosix. No real HPC facility uses it.

Proper clusters tend to use an MPI of some kind (usually some variant of
MPICH). Workstation clusters run Condor or similar. Neither require
special kernels.

I have been able to extract some 100000 cpu hours overall from a cluster of
workstations, by using (open)Mosix on it. Since they are mostly used for
interactive tasks, I could run a number of very low priority long
calculations on my computer, from which they would automagically get
migrated over free nodes and back to my computer when they were being used
(i.e. when the local user ran a command which required some cpu power).
Great for me. Probably useless for a dedicated cluster.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.