Re: nvidia driver

> I hope I am mistaken in this but without a solution I am bound to
> abandon debian
> which I will regret very much after so many years working with this fine
> distribution.
> Therefore I would be very glad to recieve hints/solutions to solve this
> problem.

Everybody else has covered me on the details of what's going on, so since I
haven't read any solution, I'll tell you what I do:

- First of all you need the apt-source package.

- Then you add the unstable deb-src to your sources.list: (here's mine)
	deb-src http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

- Update apt

- Next switch to a new directory where you wish to build the nvidia drivers

- Before you build them, you might need to draw a few more packages on which
nvidia driver sources depend:
	apt-get build-dep	 nvidia-glx

- Finally, you can get and build the sources with:
	apt-get -b source nvidia-glx

This should produce a brand new set of etch-backported nvidia drivers, version
1.0.8776.

regards,
Dimitris

PS: You shouldn't move away from Debian. There's nothing else out there :-)
(at least not that good)