Re: linux-headers no more needed ?

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 08:13, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> IMO the linux-header-files are always needed, whenever I want to build
> modules for the kernel, i.e. the Nvidia-kernel-module. However, as I have
> not installed them, the building of my needed module (in my case it was the
> fglrx-kernel-module) succeeded. So, what is the reason, that the
> linux-header-files are for ? I do not understand.

When you compile anything the traditional "configure, make, make install" way
then, as well as the actual binaries which you need for day-to-day running of
the program, you get some extra files.  These normally are only needed for
advanced purposes, like compiling something else which integrates tightly
with the program.  When the Debian development team release their
pre-compiled .deb packages, the "day to day" stuff goes in one package, and
the "extra" stuff  {which is normally only needed by developers}  goes in a
package with -dev on the end.  This is done for historical reasons:  back in
the days, CPU time and disk space were expensive, so it made sense to have
users install as little as possible, pre-compiled for their architecture.
Old habits die hard and we persist in doing things this way, despite the
underlying reason having long-since evaporated.

The Kernel is no exception.  If you need to compile a kernel module, you need
the kernel header files  {which are actually part of the kernel source code}
plus  {sometimes}  a few other files which are generated as a part of the
compilation process.

If you have built your own kernel, then you will already have a "working" set
of header files that you can use.  Or if you have installed a .deb package of
kernel source which corresponds to the running version, then this will
include the headers and these may well be usable by your module build
process.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk