Re: debian_amd64_sarge

i dont think anyone would say that the amd64 port is horendously unstable.

as a server, most of your standard software is 64bit friendly
and 64bit is by no means new ground for the linux kernel.

for example, you shouldnt see any 64bit specific issues from...

apache.
mysql.
postgresql.
perl.
exim.
postfix.
qmail.
bind.
samba.
proftpd.
(and friends)

as they are all diversly ported

you may have issues with binary or really obscure software.
that said, 32bit chroot is really good.

the kernel was ported to amd64 late in the 2.4 series and my understanding
at this point is mainly hardware and driver issues. there have been leaps
and bounds in this area.

for what its worth, i wouldnt hesitate to deploy debian sarge (with a
newer kernel) on production servers.

Dean