Re: Installing Debian on sata drive with adaptec aic-8130 controller

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 05:13:13PM +0100, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
> I use the stable netinstaller of Debian AMD64
> (debian-31r0a-amd64-netinst.iso). I try to install on a HP ProLiant
> ML150 G2 with two SATA drives running in RAID1, controlled by an adaptec
> AIC-8130. When the installer wants to set the partitions, it does not
> find any drives! During boot the drives are shown. I think it is a
> driver problem. Does anyone know, if the adaptec controller is supported
> by the Debian Netinstaller?

Support for the marvell chip used by that adapter was only added
experimentally to the kernel sources about a week ago.  It was expected
then to be rather broken.  I would not expect a working driver in a
debian installer for another 6 months at the earliest.  Apparently
marvell has been very hard to get any specs out of for anything, making
writing a driver rather difficult.  Some posts seem to indicate the
marvell chips also function very differently than anything else on the
market making it much harder to fit into the standard framework.

There are binary only drivers for RHEL if you desire to use that.  There
are also some howtos on using that binary driver hacked to load on other
kernel versions.  Good luck.