Re: How big will the 32-bit chroot end up being? What goes in these days?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:34:13AM +0000, cmetzler@speakeasy.net wrote:
> So, as I understand it, the following stuff would need to go into the
> 32-bit chroot (assuming one wants/needs these things):
>
> - Sun's J2RE

There is 64bit java as far as I know.  Not sure about browser plugins.

> - OpenOffice

Yeah even 2.0.1 doesn't quite seem to work on amd64 yet, although it is
getting closer now.

> - Flash

I wonder how close gnash is to working.

> - RealPlayer/Helix/whatever

Well yeah, that's a codec problem as below.

> - win32codecs + other misc A/V codecs one might scrounge up elsewhere

Yeah can't do anything there until w64 gets codecs.

> - Any web browser that you want to be able to use Java/Flash/embedded
> AV stuff in
>
> - the Acrobat Reader

Sure, for those files xpdf can't view.

> - cdrecord/cdrdao plus whatever front end you're using to call them

No reason.  Those work fine on amd64.

> Is that correct?  Anything I'm missing?
>
> How much space would all that take?  Assuming one were to put the chroot
> in its own partition, how much space should be allocated to that partition?
> If you're using an AMD64 desktop, how much space are you using in the
> chroot?

chroot can just be a directory.  No need for a partition.  Sure is
simpler.