Re: new kernel too big for lilo

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:37:12AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback. I tried installing a new kernel the 'debian way':
>
> % make menuconfig
> % make-kpkg
>
> followed by:
>
> % dpkg -i kernel_name.deb
>
> which did everything automatically. Then I restarted ... to find I had
> no GUI and no internet. I realized that the automatic install had
> renamed my old kernel by appending .old to the name. I was able to add
> THAT to lilo.conf by hand and successfully reboot.
>
> I am sure most of you will disagree with me but this is one area where
> I do NOT like doing things the debian way. Compiling and installing a
> kernel isn't something I do everyday but it is something that can mess
> up a system. I don't know what is automagically being done behind the
> scenes and I am very uncomfortable with that. I would much rather
> follow a manual compile-installation instruction so that I can add the
> new kernel to lilo by hand to try it out, knowing the working kernel
> is still safe.

If you used grub (default on fresh installs of sarge), it lists all
installed kernels automatically.  update-grub is a wonderful tool and
yet another reason lilo has no purpose whatsoever anymore.

The way lilo did things there really was no real easy way to add and
remove entries, well at not that grub made it easy either, but the
update-grub script does it all, and I haven't seen a similar one for
lilo.

> Having said that ... I now think that I was doing things wrong before.
> After running make bzImage I saw there was a new file in the
> /usr/src/linux directory called "vmlinux". I thought THAT was the
> kernel and tried to copy it to /boot. After some research on the net I
> now think that the image is actually at /arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage. IS
> this what was meant by:
>
> Which IS the kernel I am supposed to copy?
>
> After I copied that bzImage I find that I have no GUI again. For some
> reason the nvidia modules is not getting loaded (or found). I have no
> idea why. Do I have to do something special with the nvidia module to
> get it to work with a newly compiled kernel?

You _always_ have to recompile the nvidia drivers whenever you change
your kernel no matter what method you use.  Fortunately on debian using
m-a -t a-i nvidia, is about all it takes after booting the new kernel.

> I still can't get internet working (either ethernet or wireless). When
> I tried  to modprobe the relevant modules I got an error saying
> 'module not found'. But it IS there in the /lib/modules/2.6.14/....
> directory. What is up with this? Do I have to update the System.map or
> something else? (I HATE compiling and installing kernels since I don't
> understand what is going on.)

What kernel were you running before?  Is your module-init-tools new
enough?  Did you make the drivers modules in the new kernel config?