Re: Why are only 2.2 or 2.4 kernels available to me?

On 11/23/05, Jo Shields <jo.shields@comlab.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> You're using Woody (Debian 3.0, obsolete as of quite a long time ago)?
>
> AMD64 debian doesn't even have 2.4, let alone 2.2

I don't think so. As I said, I did a net install from a chroot, like this:

% apt-get install debootstrap
% debootstrap sid /mnt/debian http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64
.... etc. etc.....

uname -rm tells me:
2.6.10-5-amd64-generic x86_64

So I AM running a 2.6 kernel. The weird thing is that there are no
OTHER 2.6 kernels appearing in apt for installation.

> Why not do a proper install with a Debian amd64 install CD?

Because I already had an Ubuntu amd64 live CD burned for
troubleshooting, meanign it was easier to do a net install from a
chroot instead of downloading, burning and booting an install CD. I
would have assumed that the system would be the same. Further, I don't
think that there IS an install CD for sid ... just for sarge. The
links on:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
 for sid point to an install CD for testing (etch) not unstable (sid).

But... perhaps I should start over with the install CD. It is VERY
weird that no 2.6 kernel-sources are showing up for me.

Craig