Re: Open office

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 08:09, Rob van Kraanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite new with Debian 64-bits.
> I just installed it on my laptop and it's great :)
> I just had one question, openoffice is currently not available as a
> debian-package, does anyone know when it will be available?
> Also is openoffice 2 available on AMD 64?

OpenOffice is a horribly-bloated piece of software which, thanks to various
assumptions and other "dirty tricks" used by programmers who never imagined
that their work would see the light of day  {it used to be a closed-source
project},  will not compile and run properly on anything other than a 32-bit
processor.  OpenOffice2 does not fix all the problems

A lot of people think they need OOo for the same reason that a lot of people
think they need MS Office, or Windows.

If you're running KDE, I recommend KOffice.  Not only is it 64-bit clean, it's
faster, it handles .doc files better than OOo, and now it can even write OOo
files.  If you remember it being crash-prone and awkward, you obviously
haven't used it recently  {the KDE in Woody was horribly out-of-date}.  If
you install all the necessary libraries  {apt is great, isn't it},  you can
run KOffice anyway.  It looks good in WindowMaker.

You could use a 32-bit OpenOffice.org in a 32-bit chroot, but that would be
rather like buying a cat and teaching it to bark.  Isn't the point of having
a 64-bit processor, to run 64-bit applications on it?

--
AJS