using new kernels in sarge?

	Hello, a simple question: is there any good reason why one should
not use a recent home-compiled kernel on sarge? More specifically: should
one expect any problems upon taking recent debian-packaged kernel sources,
say e.g. 2.6.14, from sid, compiling them on sarge boxes and then installing
them on the same sarge boxes? Some funny ABI changes I should beware of?
Some packages which I should backport from sid for this reason (ALSA libs,
for example?)? I am actually running 2.6.14 kernels built as explained above
on a bunch of sarge AMD64 boxes, apparently without problems apart from some
care in building appropriate init ram disks, but I would like to know if I
should beware of some subtle ill effects.

	Since I am at it, I will also ask a related but somewhat off-topic
question: I have a few i386 boxes which suffer from systematic RTC drifts
when running 2.6.x kernels (this did not happen with 2.4.x). I remember
reading something about this on this mailing list, but I cannot find it
right now, any hints or pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.