Re: [OT?] LVM questions - I have seriously screwed my system

Craig Hagerman <craighagerman@gmail.com> writes:

> But sdb1 had ALREADY been set up. Actually I had formatted it with
> ext3, then followed the howto (pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate, mount) to
> set up LVM and then copied all my old data over. So I then set the
> partition type to LVM on a disc that already was set up with a VG, LV.

Changing the partition type does not touch the partition itself.  It
just sets a flag in the partition table.

> ...now vgdisplay gives me
>
> $ vgdisplay
>   Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
>   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_vg.
>   Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
>   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_vg.
>   Volume group "media_vg" doesn't exist
>
> ...but pvdisplay gives me encouraging news. I just don't know what to
> do with this information to try to recover.
>
> $ pvdisplay
>   Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/sdb1
>   VG Name               media_vg
>   PV Size               233.75 GB / not usable 0
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              59841
>   Free PE               193
>   Allocated PE          59648
>   PV UUID               rlnV4y-B4eJ-Pyc0-RLJm-2Zbv-t04C-dxzU1A

sdb1 is OK.

>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               unknown device
>   VG Name               media_vg
>   PV Size               186.30 GB / not usable 0
>   Allocatable           yes
>   PE Size (KByte)       4096
>   Total PE              47694
>   Free PE               47694
>   Allocated PE          0
>   PV UUID               ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6

LVM does not find sda2.  What does pvdisplay /dev/sda2 say?

I guess LVM only scans devices that have its type set to LVM.  So it
might be enough to just do that for sda2.

Matthias