Re: Athlon64 Dual Core powernow

Le 08.10.2005 01:18:23, Anthony DeRobertis a écrit :
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

> For the fan, you can use thenam controlled fans or the fancontrol
> program which is part of the lm-sensors package

OK, now I'm confused. Some googling around finds this AMD document:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf
which says:

All AMD Athlon 64 Processor-In-A-Box packages include thermally
controlled fans. A thermally controlled fan detects the current
temperature of the processor using a thermistor, and when a lower
temperature is detected the fan speed and noise is then reduced. Upon
detection of a higher temperature the fan speed is resumed at full
speed
to appropriately cool the processor.

I was (trying to) build a quiet computer.

I've first used the heatsink sold with the processor (the one with theorically the thermistor). It run full speed (3000 rpm) regardless the processor temperature. The procesor was running about 29C idle and 51C during burn tests.

Then I've used fancontrol to use the pwm capabilities of the motherboard. The fan was stopped when I stared the computer, full 3000 rpm at full load and 1200-1800rpm most of the time.

I remarked that I began to hear it at about 1500 rpm.

I bought a Zalman CNPS7000B. I don"t use anymore fancontrol and I use the fanmate potentiometer to adjust it at the lower possible speed which is about 1300-1400rpm. The temparature are the same as with the stock heatsink at 300rpm (idle temperature is 3C higher) and the system is quiet...

Now, I've managed to increase my CPU temp ~20F, yet the CPU fan speed
has not increased... and it's the funny-looking Cool'n'Quiet
fan/heatsink which came with the CPU.

Is 108F just too cool for it to do anything?

[The MB does have a PWM driver, but the MB manual insists Cool'n'Quiet
is something different.]

I guess I really shouldn't worry, though, as the CPU normally runs at
~84F, and its nice and quiet...

Jean-Luc