Re: Problem installing debian amd-64 on a HP

Dean Hamstead wrote:
your mboard likely as pata and sata connectors

if you have sata raid just turn it off. its most likely
a phat lie and all it is is a bios hack to load from
software RAID'd drives. it boots then hands over to the
cpu. in terms of performance etc there is no reason not
to just turn it off and use pure linux software raid
(which is what i do and what is recommended). that said
i have seen ways to get it working 'properly', but like
i said its a tad pointless and very decieving.

anyway
just turn of 'sata raid' in the bios completely.

I can't turn off RAID without enabling IDE emulation and that's not good either. The choises I have in the bios menu are either no sata at all OR IDE (emulation) OR RAID. If I was to use RAID, I would've used software RAID yes, but that's a later problem right now, because I only have one drive.

also you could try turning off sata and seeing what happens
and just turning stuff off in general...

Yes, I did that, with the result being that the installer couldn't find the drive at all. When using IDE or RAID options in the BIOS, the installer finds the drive when I load the proper modules.

try the official daily cdimages
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/amd64/

or completely
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/amd64/current/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso