Re: Appropriate arch/kernel for a Dell Precision 380?

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:01:22AM -0700, Meistro Master wrote:
> I've got a Dell Precision 380 which uses a Pentium Extreme Edition
> (Smithfield). This is the dual-core, hyperthreaded version of the
> Pentium D.
>
> I'm trying to determine the best Debian version and kernel to use.
> Should I be using the the AMD64 or the Pure64 port or something else?
> Also, from what I've read, it sounds like the only kernel version that
> supports hyperthreading is 2.6.12. If that's the case, then will I
> need to dip into Sid to use the ` linux-image-2.6.12-1-em64t-p4`
> kernel version? Is there another packaged version that might work
> better?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions. I've not worked with a 64-bit arch before
> and the information out there is hit-and-miss.

hyperthreading has been supported since 2.4.19 or 20 as far as I recall.
Explicit knowledge of the layout and association of dual core chips on
the other hand I believe is new in 2.6.12.  Earlier kernels may still
recognize it as two cpu (each with hyperthreading) but may not do the
optimal thing for scheduling on a dual core machine.

You would certainly need the -smp version of the kernel if you want to
take advantage of either of dual core and hyperthreading.