Re: Almost there

Frederik Schueler wrote:

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:22PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Make sure your boot-loader loads the initrd along with the kernel.

Thanks for the reply. I just went through the boot steps by hand and I'm fairly sure initrd has been loaded. Here is what one of my grub menu options looks like:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
initrd /initrd.img
savedefault
boot

There is something funny there though. root is actually on sda1. Also the savedefault command doesn't work when running those commands manually. When I step through each command manually, changing to sda1 obviously, everything looks fine to me (with the exception of savedefault responding with a command not found error).

When I edit the command to change sda2 to sda1, upon reboot it has been changed back to sda2. All attempts to boot the machine result in the Kernel panic.

Gary