Re: abit ax8 - strange behavior

hi guys,

thank you for your replies...

> Did you try to pass these parameters to the kernel when it boots:
> acpi=off noapic
> Could it be a buggy bios?
i haven't tried yet... i will do next time i will be forced to reboot my computer. i also added report_lost_ticks - from what i read on the net, it could help tracking down the interrupt that causes the problems.

> I reported about my kernel panics with the Asus A8V Deluxe in 64bit
> mode previously in this list.
> All I can add to your findings is, that randomly after a warm start
> after my system crashes my system reported the same messages during
> booting. Usually then the onboard GBit ethernet port refused
> initialisation and the problem could only be solved by powering the
> system down for a minute and doing a fresh cold start.
even i have some Gbit onboard card as well, i don't use it (afaik, not supported yet - some problem with drivers). so i don't know whether also in my case it refuses initialisation.

> Did the machine come back after a while or did it completely crash? If
> latter that would remind me to my system crashes during the generation
> of tar archives in an endless loop as an I/O stability test.
i think it crashed completely (i'm not sure how long did i wait, however). i tried remote login to that machine - to no avail. also, it didn't react to ctrl-ald-del, ctrl-alt-backspace or any other combinations.... the problem is that it happened both during local operation (e.g. copying/moving something from one disk to another and local rsync) and remote operation tar c dir | ssh my_box "cd somewhere; tar xv" where my_box is amd64 machine that crashed... the strange thing is that it crashed on the same file every time. copying some other file beforehand solved the problem... that's weird.

best regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"