Re: SATA Silicon Image 3114 support for A64 images ?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:15:14PM +0300, eternalnewbee wrote:

But, to have to buy another card just to be able to run Debian
>>is sort of an overkill, isn't it?

Well I wouldn't use the raid feature of that card in the first place.
> I would either buy a 3ware raid card, or use software raid.

As I said earlier, SW RAID wass out of question: the box was to
have multi-OS installation.

I have no shortage of 3ware cards. But, I needed all the PCI
slots; this was a comm center box which needed as many
WanPipe/Digium cards.

If Sil won't release official specs on how to talk to their proprietary
raid, that is their (and any customer of them) problem.  Having to
reverse engineer everything is just too much hassle, especially when
linux software raid performs better than their software raid.

True. And I hate SiI for that.

I could not agree more. Except that, I was not spoilt for choice,
this is a dual Opteron box (Tyan K8W) and at the time there were
not a lot of producers that supplied this.

True, but I still think if you want raid and dual boot, buy a real
supported hardware raid card.

<BigEvilishGrin>
This is a recorded message, isn't it?
</BigEvilishGrin>