Re: Problem with NICs on Amd64 installer

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:08:40AM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> Of course I could not do an lspci with the installer, as it is not present
> (why, it would be so useful), so I used Knoppix instead.
>
> The raid card is:
>
> 1044:a511 RAID controller Adaptec (formerly DPT) SmartRAID V Controller
>                 rev 1
>
> and the network cards:-
>
> 14e4:1640 Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5704.
>
> With your driver in exprt mode it correctly identified the cards and the
> drivers that were needed for them, but said they could not be loaded.

Hmm, well the raid card appears to be supported by the i2o drivers, so
perhaps if you manually modprobe those from console 2 it would work.  I
haven't worked with i2o myself, but I know I included them on my
installer cd.

ie: drivers/message/i2o/pci.c:    {PCI_DEVICE(PCI_VENDOR_ID_DPT, 0xa511)}

As for the network, those might be among the broadcoms that require the
bcm5700 driver instead of the tg3 driver.  That one is not included in
the kernel at all, but has to be installed from the bcm5700-source
package after installing.  Insert a more standard NIC to do the install
with until you can get the broadcom working I guess.