Re: Eclipse

On Monday 31 October 2005 05:28, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:

> > How a virtual package can be considered, as you said, as a prorietary
> > software?
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt
>
> You mentioned Sun's and Blackdown's VMs, which are proprietary, so
> unfortunately they can't be used for the packaging task to move eclipse
> into main.
>
> The packagers used a specific free runtime to make the eclipse package
> build and work, so they made that runtime specifically part of the
> dependencies, as that's a configuration the packagers can focus on to
> support.
>
> You are most welcome to contribute, and help improve the eclipse packages.

This does _not_ make a lot of sense.  It would make much more sense to suggest gcj/gij
and depend on java-virtual-machine.  This leaves it up the the user to decide if he can
use a non-free jvm.  I my case many of the apps I use (non-debian) fail with the free
jvms.  In short this type of depends is, IMO a bug.  It will force me, and many others,
to bypass the packaging system, which is usually a bad idea.

Ed Tomlinson