Re: can't mount raid 5 after installation

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 03:06:26PM +0200, kohzak wrote:
> Here is my /etc/modules :
>
> # cat /etc/modules
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
> # to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
> # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.
>
> ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
> psmouse
> sbp2
> sd_mod
> sr_mod
>
> No, md, that's may be why it don't start at boot.
> i will try in few minutes.

I meant, if your root disk is ide but your /home raid is sata, I would
think perhaps your sata drivers are only being loaded when
discover/hotplug/whatever gets around to checking which devices needs
drivers loaded, which is most likely way after mdadm runs and tries to
start the raid.

> Do i have to add md in /etc/modules and /etc/mkinitrd/modules or just /etc/modules ?
>
> Thanks all for your help since this morning :)

I would make sure the sata drivers are added to /etc/modules.  That way
to load early in the boot sequence, which is hopefulyl early enough for
mdadm to be happy.

modutils/module-init-tools runs at S20 (in rcS) whicle mdadm runs at
S25.  discover on the other hand runs at S36 which is to late for mdadm
since it can't start the raid if the drives don't yet exist.  That
problably explains the md0 stopped message showing up just before the
sata drives show up.