Re: Kernel compilation failure

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:52:03AM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> Fortunately, I had the kernel from the install still around.
> Under that (UP) kernel, I could compile a new SMP kernel (2.6.13.2).
>
> Booting with that new kernel, I then tried to compile the same exact
> kernel, which crashed the system (with "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL" set to 3,
> as well as without). [Not even segfault, just frozen:  No trace left
> in "kern.log".]
>
> Rebooting, passing the "maxcpus=1" kernel parameter, and new compilation
> trial; this time it was completed!
>
> Am I right in concluding that the second CPU is the culprit?

Well either the new 2.6.13.2 kernel has some SMP bugs on your type of
system or your second cpu has problems.

If you swap the cpus and boot with it set to 1 cpu, and it fails to
build, then yes I would say cpu2 is bad.  If it still passes with that
cpu running, I think the new kernel is buggy or there are other smp
related problems with your board.