Re: Installing amd64 on Adaptec 2015S (SmartRAID V) with dpt_i2o

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:15:54AM -0700, Neil Gunton wrote:
> I have replaced the dpt_i2o files with the new ones provided by Adaptec,
> but I cannot figure out how to enable the module for selection under
> x86_64. I tried adding a line to arch/x86_64/configs/defconfig, but this
> still doesn't make the module come up in the list when I do a 'make
> menuconfig'. Do you have any idea how to enable the module? Where is the
> kernel config being told specifically not to include this? I did a grep for
> DPT_I2O but I couldn't find anything else.

There is a && !64BIT somewhere in the DPT_I2O option section you would
have to remove.

Look for 'config SCSI_DPT_I2O' in drivers/scsi/Kconfig, and a few lines
down it has:
        depends on !64BIT && SCSI && PCI

change that to:
        depends on SCSI && PCI

> I tried this, and it looked promising at first. I was able to modprobe
> i2o_block and then partition the hard drives, but it failed later when
> trying to install the kernel, with a message something like this:
>
> /usr/bin/mkinitrd: device /dev/i2o/hda/part3 is not a block device
> Failed to create initrd image
>
> In any case, I noticed that the installer was attempting to install
> linux-image-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic, which makes me nervous - surely this
> would not have the dpt_i2o driver, and so I would not be able to boot into
> the system after install?

It does have i2o_block.  If that can read the disk, it should work, if
mkinitrd had a clue about i2o.  Odd, how it says part3 is not a block
device.  What does 'ls -l /dev/i2o/hda/part3' say then?

> I had an idea to compile the kernel with dpt_i2o under CentOS, since that
> is working currently under x86_64 and i2o_block. If I was able to include
> the new dpt_i2o driver in this kernel, and then replaced the one on the
> stock Debian netinstall disk with the new one, should that work? Would it
> be able then to see the 2015S using the dpt_i2o module? But then, if the
> installer still wants to put in a stock kernel then that's no good. I
> suppose I could then boot into linux rescue and replace the stock kernel
> with the custom one off the install disk. Might that work?
>
> Yes, I will send this in a separate email.

The PCI id from lspci and lspci -n would be nice too.