Re: nvidia_drv in lib64 folder

Adam Majer wrote:

packages.debian.org/nvidia-glx

Now, there is no Amd64 binary packages in experimental, so, grab the
sources (see page above)

cd /tmp
 then for each of the above,
wget <URL>

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.diff.gz

Then do

dpkg-source -x nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.7667-3.dsc
cd nvidia-graphics-drivers*
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
cd ..

and you have ALL of the debs ready to install. You'll have to build your
own nvidia kernel module (as always) after installing the
nvidia-kernel-source package, but that is really not a problem.
I came across this thread when looking for an nvidia solution myself.

I'm having problems installing all the relevant deb files via apt, or even via dpkg.
Problem is that dependancies are not available, so both methods fail.
I've managed to download a few deb files manually but dependancy problems on installation.
The files  I have are:

nvidia-glx_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb
nvidia-glx-dev_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb
nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.7174-3_amd64.deb

When trying to run "apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source"

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Package nvidia-kernel-source is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

My apt sources.list file

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb-src http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64/ sarge main contrib non-free

The deb files all seem to be at the location
http://amd64.debian.net/debian-amd64/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/
....  so why can't apt-get use them?

I'm getting confused as to what my options are for getting nvidia working, even if I have to compile everything! Currently, on a newly installed system, I have no working X video driver....

I also can't seem to find any amd64 packages on packages.debian.org, just i386 files.