Re: compiling module nvidia

I've get the nvidia running !! but this method require the last source
code for kernel to recompiling.

Obtain the last Kernel source 2.6.12.4
( cd /usr/src
  tar xvjf kernel-source-2.6.11.tar.bz2
  ln -s linux-2.6.12.4 linux )

Obtain the nvdia-source package	"nvidia-kernel-source"
and untar into the linux source tree
( apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source
  cd /usr/src/linux
  tar xzvf ../nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz )

Get a base config from last kernel
( cp /boot/config-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 /usr/src/linux/.config where linux
is a link to the last source kernel directory )

$ make oldconfig
  * Check config
$ make menuconfig
  * Compile
$ make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version rider -rev phil.1
kernel-image modules-image
       # Note here I want to keep mulitple systems with different kernels but similar
       # version numbers under apt control, so I decided I want the kernel to be
       # called "2.6.6rider" and the version to be "phil.1" where "rider" is a
       # machine name.
  * Install
$ cd ..; sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.12.4rider_k8.0_phil.deb
nvidia-kernel-2.6.12.4rider_1.0.7174-3+k8_phil.deb

* I have problems for to load new kernel if not make initrd
$ mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.img 2.6.0

If are using lilo
  * Modify /etc/lilo.conf, and then run lilo
$ sudo lilo

If are using grub review /boot/grub/menu.lst

  * Reboot with the new kernel
* Next comprobe if loads module nvidia with
# modprobe nvidia
I have experience problems to found module nvidia so I repare this
situation executing
# depmod -ae
* Install anothers packages
apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
* Backup old configuration
cd /etc/X11/cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.old
cd /etc/X11/cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.old
* Reconfigure xfree86
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
When asking for module select nvidia in place of nv
* The next steep is configure xserver for to activate the TV-OUT but
this is another history.

Enjoy!!!
Regards

RELATED LINKS:

· Compile kernel with nvidia-modules in .deb
http://www.phildev.net/linux/debian-kernel.html

· Guide to compile kernel ->
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html#PREPARATION

· Compilar el kernel en debian con el metodo make-kpkg generando
paquetes  .deb
http://gcubo.org/documentacion/recetas/kerneldebian

· More info on kpkg compiling kernel
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html