Re: Re: Kernel Recompile from 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8

>I am not sure but kernel-headers for your installed version may be sufficient
to compile
>linux- wlan-ng
>
>haroon

They were--thanks!

I've followed this recipe before for the DWL-122,
(http://julian.coccia.com/blog/index.php?p=53&more=1), and he says that you
need to recompile your kernel locally or you will get module dependency errors
when you try to insert the modules. Guess I've done a lot of recompiles in the
past for no reason. :)

Here's a couple of kinks that I worked out, just in case someone else has this
adapter, architecture and/or kernel version, and finds this thread through a
DWL-122 search:

1. The default gcc installation on my system is 3.3 but the stock kernel was
compiled with gcc 3.4. After apt-getting gcc-3.4 and doing ./configure (see
the web page above) for linux-wlan-ng and the DWL-122, I had to do `make all
CC=gcc-3.4;make install` instead of `make all; make install`. I tried the
wrong way first--it didn't work. I removed the compiled modules and source
code, untarred the source code again, and did it the right way, which worked.

2. This card always worked perfectly for me in 2.4 but I have had problems
with it before in 2.6 (32 bit). After I got it working in this kernel and
amd64 architecture, it started acting up again! I figured (hoped) that the
problem might be with hotplug, since the errors seemed to happen when it tried
to bring up the wlan0 interface. So I added the modules to /etc/modules
(prism2_usb,p80211), edited the /etc/network/interfaces file, and the computer
finds and configures the adapter now while booting up, without using hotplug.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that it keeps working.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob B.