nvu HTML editor

I tried to build nvu.  After locating and installing various -dev packages
{Why, in 2005, do we -still- need to separate these files?  Aren't
disk-space-challenged users savvy enough to just delete the unnecessary files
for themselves?  It's enough to make me think of going back to Gentoo}  I
managed to persuade it to go all the way through the build process.  Lots of
warnings from the compiler:  cast from pointer to integer of different size,
comparisons between signed and unsigned integers, indirect jmp without `*'.

Running the program causes a segmentation fault.

Has anyone managed to get nvu to work?  What need I do?

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk