Re: persistant error while upgrading software

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:36:45AM +0000, DR GAVIN SEDDON wrote:
> Whenever I run apt-get upgrade I receive the message
> 'Another copy of the C library was found via /etc/ld.so.conf.
> It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
> please remove the directory from /etc/ld.so.conf and try again.
> dpkg: error
> processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-22_amd64.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-22_amd64.deb
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)'
>
> Is this a problem and does it indicate there has been no upgrade?
> Should I do as it instructs?

Check your /etc/ld.so.conf and comment out your 32bit chroot, if you
added it there.  Then upgrade and put the chroot back again.

I don't know if the ia32libs package would do the same thing (I sure
hope not).

It's a small inconvinience you get when you add your 32bit chroot to
your regular 64bit environment (so you don't have to use the chroot
command to run 32bit programs all the time but instead just let the
loader deal with finding the right libs).