Re: notebook choice advice...

Am Montag, 20. Juni 2005 12:50 schrieb Giacomo Mulas:
>  	My old laptop just died on me, I have to quickly get a new one, I
> want an amd64 based one and have basically two available choices: an Acer
> Aspire 5024WLMI and an Asus A770KLH. The Acer sports slightly faster
> processor and ethernet and an ATI Radeon X700 graphics card, wheres the
> Asus has an nVidia GeForce 6200. Does anybody have any first-hand
> knowledge about whether these laptops or at least their graphic cards work
> with the Debian amd64 port?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Giacomo

Hi Giacomo,

I am running an Acer1520WLMI with Debian-AMD64. Everything is running fine,
except wireless lan. The wlan-card is not supported by linux, and, the
windows-driver, one could use with ndiswrapper, is not 64-Bit-capable.

All other things work. Burning CDroms, graphical acceleration (very fast),
sound, openoffice etc. etc. is working very fine.

And another hint: Whenever you want to use graphical acceleration, use
Nvidia ! The nvidia linux-drivers are much better invented and supported on
linux, as ATI-drivers. This is because the Hollywood-films are rendered under
linux with nvidia-card and so there is a lot of money and quality pointed to
that.

So, my decision would be easy: No ATI-Card, choose Acer1520WLMI !

Best regards

Hans