usb wireless mouse stopped working

Hello,

Last night my wireless mouse batteries ran out, so I replaced them,
but now it wouldn't connect anymore. I am seeing the same behavior I
have seen in windows since the beginning.

The wireless keyboard is seen no problem, but not the mouse. Both the
keyboard and the mouse use the same receiver, which is connected
directly using a USB bus.

Up until now, every time I booted into windows (last time that
happened was about 6 months ago) I had to hook up my old wirebound
mouse, cos the wireless mouse wasn't recognized.Well, now I gotta do
the same thing in Linux.

Anybody know what's going on?

What package is responsible for this and how do I fix it? I tried
reloading the mousedev driver but that did nothing.

Thanks.

Alex.