Re: Compiling code for EM64T

* Guy Coates (gmpc@sanger.ac.uk) wrote:

> >What I want to know is that do I need to set up cross compilation or
> >normal binary would run without any problem on the EM64T.
>

> The opteron optimised binaries should run fine on EMT64.[1]
>
> However, they may not run as quickly as binaries optimised compiled up
> with EMT64 optimisations.  So if you have some code whose performance you
> really care about, it is probably worth re-compiling with EMT64 specific
> binaries. (Take a look at the intel C/F77 compilers, they can do
> significantly better than gcc on some code.)

We do care about the performance of the code as we need to get timing
values on the architecture. Would it be possible to run the intel C/F77
compilers on opterons to compile optimized for EMT. As for the kernel we
would have to compile our own kernel anyway as we need custom kernels on
those machines anyway to support the work we are doing.

Thanks,

Bharath

---
Bharath Ramesh       <bramesh@vt.edu>       http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~bramesh